SEE THE HIGHLIGHTS: Comedian Bill Burr Calls a Complete Boston Red Sox Game for NESN
Editor's note: This article was written by a Townsquare Media Northern New England contributor and may contain the individual's views, opinions, or personal experiences.
When the great Dennis Eckersley announced he was retiring from the NESN broadcast booth last year, dopes like me wondered how they’d ever replace him. I even put together a list of potential replacements – and completely missed the mark.
It turns out the answer all along was comedian Bill Burr. The Canton, Massachusetts, native – who became the first comedian ever to headline Fenway Park last summer – has gone viral in the past for his lively cameos during Sox games.
But this week, Burr made his debut as a complete-game color analyst, working alongside play-by-play man Dave O’Brien and full-time analyst and former Sox star Kevin Youkilis, who was named Eckersley’s fulltime replacement.
This gave Burr plenty of time to say plenty of things. Among them:
- If it’s okay for him to find Jarren Duran attractive
- How he ate the worst hot dog of his life during the broadcast
- Referring to the NESN stat expert as a “nerd with a laptop”
- How a man in the crowd looked like Meathead from All in the Family
- How he hoped the game would end quickly, so he could go smoke a cigar
- How a rainy winter was ideal in Southern California, as you can murder your spouse and dump their body in the Los Angeles river
Finally, Burr removed his headset, and could be heard shouting at nearby fans that not everything in life was going to go their way. To watch Burr’s highlights from his full-time broadcast debut, check out the video below.