I Didn’t Believe in Psychics Until I Went to One in Salem, Massachusetts
Editor's note: This article was written by a Townsquare Media Northern New England contributor and may contain the individual's views, opinions or personal experiences.
I’ve always been a spiritual person.
I charge my crystals under the full moon, meditate to ground myself and set manifestations, and can guess someone’s astrological sign just by the way they present themselves.
I grew up in a spiritual family, with the women on my mom’s side of the family possessing a sixth sense that is both anxiety-producing and a special gift.
Yet, for some reason, I thought all psychics were a hoax.
There are many different versions of psychic readings you can experience; There are palmistry, tarot card readings, astrology, and psychics who simply speak to you through a guardian angel.
I had no intentions of getting a psychic reading done the first time it happened, but it kind of just unfolded naturally and I am not one to go against the universe’s plan.
I was on my annual trip to Salem, Massachusetts, with the spiritual women in my family. For a few months, I had been considering getting a reading done just due to life circumstances but I had kept brushing it off.
We were in a bookshop that offered readings but I just kept thinking about what a hoax it was and that it was just a game at a tourist trap as a way to make money.
My cousin had a killer outfit on and was looking at the books so I took a picture of them and sent it out on Snapchat because it looked cool. A friend of mine responded and said the book on display in the background was by an incredible author who actually owned a psychic reading place there in Salem, called Enchanted.
I brushed it off but the thought kept nagging at me, get a reading done. Go to a psychic.
I walked over to my nana and asked her if she had ever gotten a reading done and she responded, “yes, here in Salem at a place called Enchanted.”
I looked down at my phone and it was 11:11 a.m. At that point, I knew what I needed to do.
Enchanted, Salem, Massachusetts
I ran out of the store, down the street, and to Enchanted. I walked in out of breath asking if they had any openings, to which they quickly responded, “definitely not, we book out for months.”
I sighed and started to walk out when the phone rang. The person at the front lowered the phone and said, “Wait! Are you free right now?”
The person who called had an appointment in 5 minutes and canceled.
My First Tarot Card Reading
Her name was Norma.
My belly felt warm and funny. The only Norma I’ve ever met was my grandmother’s best friend and my grandmother had recently passed away. This small coincidence made me feel safe and excited.
It was a tarot card reading, so she shuffled the deck, did her little thing, and placed the cards down. The first card she flipped over was a lion. She smiled and asked me if my astrological sign was a Leo.
Before I could respond she laughed and said, you are more than just a Leo. I laughed because my big three astrological signs, my sun, my moon, and my rising, are all Leo.
There is so much to share from this reading but I will break it down for you in the top highlights:
- Norma mentioned that my guardian angel was there with us directing the reading. I never mentioned anything about myself and in reference to my angel, she said, “your grandmother is beautiful. Was she a fashionista?” This made me smile because I was head-to-to in my grandmother’s clothes at that moment. My Gwammie loved putting an outfit together and anytime I wear her clothes, I get compliments.
- She mentioned that she knew it was recently that Gwammie passed away and said she kept seeing “two’s”. My grandmother passed away on 2/22.
- She flipped over a card with drums on it and asked if a rock band or drummer was relevant to my life. I said no, but it might be because I had just gotten a job in radio. Little did I know, two months later I would meet a drummer in a rock band that I’ve been dating ever since.
- She spoke in detail about my dad’s side of the family which was spot on. She mentioned we wouldn’t be having Thanksgiving together, which I thought was weird until the next month Thanksgiving came and none of us got together.
- She mentioned my ex-boyfriend and something about Florida and that we had been together for three years. My ex-boyfriend and I dated in Florida for three years.
Everything was so specific it was almost unnerving.
From numbers to dates, to relationships, and more, Norma got it all right.
I had walked into that psychic reading thinking it was a hoax and walked out with watery eyes and a newfound belief.
I’ve gotten psychic readings since then and it’s been a positive experience each time. Whether you’re hesitant or open to it, it’s something I would highly recommend to any and everyone.
Take things with a grain of salt but also be open-minded, you never know what experience you may have.