State-of-the-Art Indoor Pickleball Club is Opening This Weekend in Rye, New Hampshire
Editor's note: This article was written by a Townsquare Media Northern New England contributor and may contain the individual's views, opinions or personal experiences.
I first heard about Pickleball from my parents, who are knocking on the 70s door (sorry, guys, but it's true!).
I thought it was a sport that was enjoyed strictly by folks in their golden years, but boy was I wrong!
Pickleball is not only your parents’ sport anymore.
According to Selkirk.com, Pickleball is the fastest-growing sport in the nation.
So what the heck is it?
The article explains that Pickleball is a paddle sport similar to tennis with these five rules:
- the ball must stay inbounds
- there should be one bounce per side
- serving must be done at the baseline
- the serve can't land in the no-volley zone
- the game ends at 11, 15, or 21 points.
After a major spike in popularity during the pandemic, Pickleball is now officially mainstream. Folks of all ages are pickleballin'.
Some signs that Pickleball has gone mainstream (according to MorningBrew.com)
- Major Networks like CBS are broadcasting games
- Major publications like The New York Times declared pickleball “ready for prime time”
- Major sports brands are selling pickleball gear and sponsoring pickleball players
- The kids have caught on, with emerging pickleball influencers as young as Gen Alpha
With Pickleball spreading like wildfire, the news that we have an indoor Pickleball club set to open in Rye, New Hampshire, is incredibly exciting.
New England Pickleball club will have 6 indoor courts (7 including the practice court for all your training needs). Each court is named after a New England State.
Some of the courts even have cameras so you can record your play! Tom Brady wouldn't be Tom Brady if he didn't repeatedly watch film and identify areas to improve. Imagine, you could be the Tom Brady of pickleball!
Here's the owner, Dave Velardo, showing us how the club is coming along:
Fast forward to now, the moment we've been waiting for is finally here! New England Pickleball Club announced their opening day is Saturday, August 6!
The club already has over 270 members. To learn more or join the club yourself, visit nepclub.com.