A fire in a two-story house in Northwood Tuesday afternoon started in an adjacent garage before flames spread to a chicken coop and the main house, according to the fire chief.

The first firefighters at the house on Bow Street found fire and heavy smoke on the outside on the first floor which spread to the second floor and the roof. Two people inside the house safely made it out and one firefighter sustained a minor burn, according to Northwood Fire Chief Mark Tetreault.

No chickens were killed.

The chief said an extra alarm was struck to bring in six additional water tankers and personnel to the scene. The extra firefighters gave the crews wearing full gear a break with temperatures in the 80s and high humidity.

"Northwood has no pressurized fire hydrants so all the water for firefighting must be trucked in. During the fire this afternoon we never ran out of water," Tetreault told Seacoast Current.

The American Red Cross' Northern New England chapter was assisting the family with temporary shelter and emergency needs.

It was the second fire in Northwood in the past 30 days. A fire at a house on First NH Turnpike June 24 claimed the life of Catherine F. McNally, 72.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNH

KEEP LOOKING: See what 50 company logos looked like then and now

More From Seacoast Current