Grill Blamed for Milton, NH, Fire That Destroyed House
A charcoal grill is the likely cause of a fire that destroyed a Milton home and killed several cats early Wednesday morning.
Assistant Fire Chief Tyler Taatjes said Milton firefighters arrived around 3:15 a.m. to a fire engulfing the large two story home and garage on Northeast Pond Road. Additonal alarms were sounded to bring additional water tankers to the scene to help with water supply issues.
The grill on the rear deck, used the night before, was determined to be the cause of the fire, according to Taatjes.
Six occupants of the house and a dog got themselves out of the house before firefighters arrived, but several cats died in the fire. A firefighter was treated and released for exhaustion.
The fire was brought under control around 6:15 a.m., but the house suffered severe damage. A Milton public works excavator was brought in to tear down parts of the main house to reach hot spots.
Rochester, Wakefield, Farmington, Middleton, Somersworth, Wolfeboro, Ossipee Corner, Center Ossipee, New Durham, Alton, Barringtn, Effingham, Dover, Lebanon, Berwick, and Acton all responded to the scene.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNH