A fire in the ceiling of a Hampton Beach motel was put out in less than an hour on Friday afternoon.

Hampton firefighters responded to an alarm at the Nautical Beach Properties on Ashworth Avenue and found light smoke coming out the sides of the building upon their arrival.

"The fire burned into the laundry room from another space," Hampton Fire Chief Michael McMahon told Seacoast Current. "It's a utility space that happens to be used as a laundry space as well. It came from the floor below."

McMahon said the fire was likely electrical and accidental.

"This looked like a recently refurbished unit," McMahon said.

It took firefighters about an hour to extinguish the fire.

Smoke coming from the Nautical Properties building in Hampton 4/29/22
Smoke coming from the Nautical Properties building in Hampton 4/29/22 (Hampton Fire/Rescue)

Temporary Housing for Residents

A half-dozen people staying in the building were evacuated because the power was cut. They were temporarily taken to other Nautical properties.

Additional companies called in as the fire went to one alarm.

"Thanks to our mutual aid partners who helped us to keep Hampton Beach safe today," McMahon said.

Units from East Kingston, Exeter, Greenland, Hampton Falls, Newburyport, North Hampton, Portsmouth, Rye, and Seabrook all responded to the fire.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNH

Trending Stories for Seacoast Current (April 18-24, 2022)

More From Seacoast Current