Hazardous Material Removed From UNH Student’s Home
🔴 A UNH student called police Saturday thinking he may have been exposed to a toxic chemical
🔴 Police returned to Emad Mustafa's home Tuesday with a warrant
🔴 There was never danger to the public, according to the police chief
A UNH student who called police after thinking he may have been exposed to a toxic chemical was charged Tuesday.
Emad Mustafa, 29, told police Saturday about the exposure Saturday and was taken to Wentworth Douglass Hospital where he was treated and released, according to Durham Police.
Police and a host of other agencies, including the state Attorney General's Office, New Hampshire State Police and the Seacoast Technical Assistance Response Team (START), executed a warrant at Mustafa's home on Oyster River Road. The Southeastern New Hampshire Hazardous Material Mutual Aid District also responded.
START is a regional hazardous materials team made up of 40 members under the command of the Seacoast Chief Fire Officers Mutual Aid District.
A hazardous material was "identified and contained," according to police. There was never a safety concern for the community or surrounding neighbors.
Police did not disclose what was found, but Mustafa was charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon, and improper disposal of Hazardous Materials.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNH