🔴 Two residents were out of the house by the time firefighters arrived around 6 p.m.

🔴 It took about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control

🔴 Chimneys should be inspected and cleaned every year

Two people made it safely out of their Portsmouth home when a stove pipe caused a chimney fire early Friday evening.

Firefighters responded to a call from a one-story home on Coakley Road around 6 p.m. and found the pair already outside, according to Portsmouth Fire Chief William McQuillen. The fire likely started from the stove pipe conducting heat to the wooden framing materials in the attic space.

The fire was brought under control within approximately 30 minutes.

McQuillen said the fire serves as a reminder that anything can burn within three feet of a stove pipe, and to have a chimney inspected and cleaned every year.

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNH

These Are Seven of the Best Winter Towns in New Hampshire

More From Seacoast Current