Lit Candle Blamed for Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Mobile Home Fire
🔴 The entire Portsmouth Fire Department responded to a fire at a mobile home around 12:30 p.m
🔴 The residents of the home made it out safely
🔴 A lit candle is likely to blame for starting the fire
A lit candle was the likely cause of a fire at Oriental Gardens in Portsmouth early Wednesday afternoon, according to a preliminary investigation.
The entire Portsmouth Fire Department responded to fire at a mobile home around 12:30 p.m. and found most of the mobile home engulfed in flames, according to Fire Chief William McQuillen. Two occupants of the home made it out safely.
It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire under control and extinguish it, according to the chief.
Red Cross of Northern New England offered shelter and assistance to the residents.
McQuillen said that lit candles should be placed in a sturdy handle that can't be knocked over. They should never be left unattended, according to the chief.
It was the second fire at Oriental Gardens this year.
A family of four escaped a fire in their mobile home in the early morning hours of January 5. The heat and flames melted the siding on a neighboring home.