A Laconia man who crashed the Nissan Maxima he was driving in Lee after leading a state police trooper on a high-speed chase has been indicted by a grand jury at Strafford County Superior Court in Dover.

Christopher Deputat, 32, is accused of reckless conduct after prosecutors say he engaged in conduct that placed, or may have placed, another in danger of serious bodily injury.

Deputat allegedly drove at high rates of speed, ran multiple red lights and/or stop signs and failed to maintain lane control in his attempts to avoid arrest.

On March 12, at about 2:20 a.m., a state trooper monitoring traffic on Route 16 in Dover clocked the car going 106 miles per hour and tried to stop the driver.

That trooper, Gary Wood, activated his emergency lights and caught up with the green 1996 Maxima.

"As Trooper Wood caught up to the vehicle, he observed obvious lane control issues and suspected that the driver was possibly impaired. It quickly became obvious to Trooper Wood that the driver had no intention of stopping for him as the Nissan continued to travel at a high rate of speed onto Interstate 95 south," a press release issued at the time said.

Deputat drifted between several lanes of travel and continued onto Route 101 heading west where an officer from the Stratham Police Department was able to successfully deploy stop sticks.

The stop sticks deflated several tires, reducing the car's speed, but Deputat continued westbound until he got off the highway at Exit 7.

Heading north on Route 125, Deputat was traveling on three rims as only one tire remained inflated, according to the press release.

Deputat continued onto Route 4 west from the Lee traffic circle, where a short time later, the Maxima left the roadway and crashed into a ditch.

Deputat allegedly fled from the scene and Wood's canine partner Ida was able to catch him, according to the press release.

Deputat was originally charged with felony reckless conduct, aggravated driving while intoxicated, disobeying an officer, driving after suspension, conduct after an accident, and resisting arrest. He was indicted on the reckless conduct charge on May 20.

Deputat faces 3 1/2 to 7 years in prison if he is convicted of reckless conduct by a jury at trial.

Contact Managing News Editor Kimberley Haas at Kimberley.Haas@townsquaremedia.com.

PHOTOS: Scene at U.S. Capitol shows chaos and violence



More From Seacoast Current