Everything You Need to Know About Parking in Portsmouth on June 3
One of the busiest days in recent Portsmouth history is Saturday, June 3, with three major events expected to draw thousands of people.
The day starts with the Portsmouth NH 400 Grand Parade stepping off at 11 a.m. at Goodwin Park on Islington Street. The 97.5 WOKQ Chowder Festival inside Prescott Park starts at 11:30 a.m. and runs until 2 p.m., and the Piscataqua RiverFest at Strawbery Banke Museum from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The City of Portsmouth has issued its parking plan for the day.
Where can you park?
Depending on where you're entering the City of Portsmouth, parking will be available at two locations with 14-passenger ADA-equipped shuttle vans taking passengers closer to the activities.
North Loop: If you are coming into Portsmouth from Interstate 95, Route 16, and Market Street, there parking will be available at the Connect Community Church located at 200 Chase Drive near Exit 7 (Market Street) off I-95.
The shuttle route ends at the intersection of Russell & Deer Streets at the Sheraton Portsmouth Hotel.
South Loop: For those coming into Portsmouth from the north and west via Route 1 (Lafayette Road), Route 33, and I-95, North there parking will be available at TWO locations: the rear parking lot of Islamic Society of the Seacoast (ISSA) at 355 Spinney Road (access from Middle Road), and the Little Harbour Elementary School located at 50 Clough Drive (off South Street).
The shuttle route ends behind Portsmouth Middle School at Rogers Street.
Where CAN'T you park?
No parking will be allowed on the Grand Parade parade route and side streets, including all of Congress Street, all of Market Square, all of Pleasant Street, and Islington Street from Plaza 800 to the intersection with Congress Street.
Vehicles will not be permitted to cross the parade route except in an emergency.
Cars found parked on these streets after 8 a.m. Saturday morning will be towed at the owner’s expense to the National Wrecking Company lot at 295 West Road.
What roads are closed on June 3?
The following streets will be closed or restricted to local traffic starting at 10 a.m. on June 3. Police officers, signs, and/or barricades will be in place for these streets.
- Islington Street – from Plaza 800 to Maplewood Avenue and most adjacent side streets
- The intersection of Middle Street, Congress Street, Maplewood Avenue and Islington Street
- Daniel Street – from Penhallow Street to Market Square
- Market Street – from Bow Street to Market Square
- Fleet Street – from Hanover Street to Congress Street and State Street to Congress Street
- State Street – from Middle Street to Pleasant Street
Court Street – from Middle Street to Pleasant Street and Washington Street to Pleasant Street
- Porter Street – from Fleet Street to Pleasant Street
- Pleasant Street – from Junkins Avenue to Market Square
- Junkins Avenue – from Parrott Avenue to Pleasant Street
- Parrott Avenue – from Rogers Street to Junkins Avenue
Everything is subject to change due to weather conditions and other factors.